Unpacking the Emerging Field of Nutritional Psychiatry with Drew Ramsey
In this Episode of the Power of Genetics Podcast, guest speaker Drew Ramsey, a psychiatrist, author, and farmer, discusses his journey in nutritional psychiatry. He talks about the relationship between nutrition and mental health and the emerging field of nutritional psychiatry. Drew emphasizes the importance of considering new concepts such as inflammation, neuroplasticity, and the microbiome when thinking about mental health. He also discusses his vision for a mental health care system that responds to evidence and provides adequate support.
- Drew Ramsey's background and journey to becoming a psychiatrist
- His interest in different specialties such as family practice and obstetrics and gynecology
- Connection between growing things and the core of psychiatry, which involves self-awareness, empathy, mood, individuality, and patient autonomy
- Emerging field of nutritional psychiatry and the relationship between nutrition and mental health
- Importance of considering new concepts such as inflammation, neuroplasticity, and the microbiome when thinking about mental health
- Need for a mental health care system that can respond to evidence and provide adequate support.