Becoming a Healthcare Change Agent with Dr. Joseph Pizzorno
Dr. Joseph Pizzorno likes to define himself by what he has been trying to accomplish: become a healthcare change agent.
Undoubtedly, Joe is a transformational leader. He was working in health medicine and naturopathy when there were only drug medicine and dietetics.
As founding president of Bastyr University in 1978, he coined the term “science-based natural medicine” which set the foundation for Bastyr to become the first accredited institution in the field.
In this episode, you will not only learn why Joe calls our bodies ‘Inside Machines’ but you will also get his unique advice and views that will remind you why you are practicing functional medicine.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Why Joe defines himself as a healthcare change agent
- The differences between ‘Disease medicine’ and ‘Health medicine’
- How Joe went from having a dream about better medicine to founding Bastyr University
- How he brought science to natural medicine
- One guiding question he advises functional medicine practitioners to ask themselves
- Genetics as a piece of self-knowledge and a decision tool for practitioners and patients
- How COVID-19 shaped Joe’s view on the future of medicine and what he foresees for the next few years.